Froġa tat-Tarja is a Maltese dish consisting of vermicelli noodles mixed with mainly eggs & cheese but you can also season it & add ingredients to your liking. It can either be fried or baked, depending on your preference. You can add various ingredients to this dish to create different ways to enjoy it. It’s a dish that doesn’t take a lot of time or work to make & will surely leave everyone wanting more. So just keep an eye if there are any leftovers because they’re sure to disappear! Enjoy or as we say in Maltese, l-ikla t-tajba!
Froġa tat-Tarja (Maltese Vermicelli Omelette)
Froġa tat-Tarja is a Maltese recipe consisting of vermicelli noodles mixed with mainly eggs & cheese. It can be either fried or baked.
- 250 g vermicelli
- 100 g bacon chopped
- 6 medium eggs beaten
- 125 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 ½ tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp parsley diced
- 50 g Grana Padano grated
- 2 spring onions sliced
- Preheat oven at 200C.
- Cook the vermicelli by pouring boiling water in a bowl. Soak the vermicelli in the water for approximately 4 minutes. Drain the vermicelli & then rinse them. Let them drain till you prepare the mixture.
- In a frying pan, cook the bacon, mushrooms & spring onions. Season them with pepper, curry, paprika & Worchestershire sauce. Cook them for 4 minutes over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix the vermicelli & the mixture together well.
- Pour the vermicelli mixture in a baking sheet & level it out. Sprinkle the grated cheese & parsley on top. Cook it in the oven for 15-20 minutes in the oven or until you see that the eggs have been cooked & the top is crunchy.
Calories: 612kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 16gFat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 278mgSodium: 511mgPotassium: 313mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 854IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 213mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!