Chicken Soup (Brodu ta’ Tiġieġ)
In my country, Malta, this Chicken Soup is known as "Brodu ta' Tiġieġ" & it's a very loved recipe in my family. Ideal for cold days but seeing as we loved it so much, we enjoyed having it all the time. Hope you enjoy it as well.
- 800 g chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp dried celery
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 leek cut into slices
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 courgette chopped
- 4 medium potatoes cut into large cubes
- 400 g canned tomato chunks
- 1 tbsp concentrated tomato paste
- 100 g white rice boiled
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large saucepan. Mix in the dried celery. Fill the saucepan with water & add the chicken stock cubes. Turn the heat on high, cover the saucepan & wait till it starts boiling. When it starts to boil, turn the heat to low & cook for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, add the potatoes, leeks, carrots & courgettes. Add the concentrated tomato paste & the tomato chunks. Stir everything together. Bring it to a boil. When it starts to boil, lower the flame & cover the saucepan. Simmer for 60 minutes.
- Serve the soup with 2 tablespoons of white rice or to your preference.
- A suggestion for serving, you can first serve the soup with some rice & then afterwards serve the chicken with potatoes.
Calories: 525kcalCarbohydrates: 69gProtein: 32gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 839mgPotassium: 1713mgFiber: 8gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 3276IUVitamin C: 65mgCalcium: 113mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!