A traditional Maltese soup which originally it's called Kusksu but in our family we have our own name for it which is Kiksu. Everyone laughs when hearing us calling it this way but it's something ours. Enjoy a hearty soup that's sure to warm you up on any day! In my opinion, soups are not just for cold days.
- 5 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 120 g yellow onion diced
- Salt & pepper
- 500 g ricotta
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 200 g broad bean
- 600 g cauliflower roughly chopped
- 150 g potatoes chopped
- 400 g tomato sauce
- 40 g pearl couscous
- 350 g courgette chopped
- TIP! Normally this recipe is prepared also with "ġbejniet" which is a Maltese Cheese. Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on these deliciousness but if you manage to, then add them the same time that you add the ricotta. You won't be dissapointed! On with the recipe…
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion to the pan & season it with some salt & pepper. Cook it for 4 minutes over high heat, stirring consistently.
- Add the courgette, cauliflower, potatoes & broad beans to the pan. Cook them for 8 minutes over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock & tomato sauce to the pan & bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the ricotta slowly to the pan by adding 1 spoonful at a time. Cook for 20 minutes on low heat, covered to let the ricotta cook for a bit, without stirring!
- Add the eggs one by one slowly & add the couscous as well. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off & leave it covered for a few minutes more before serving.
Calories: 358kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 22gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 511mgPotassium: 1045mgFiber: 7gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 974IUVitamin C: 70mgCalcium: 253mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!