Maltese Meat Roast (Laħam Il-Forn)
This is one of a typical Sunday lunch meal you can find in Maltese homes. Everyone adds & changes their take of it but the core of it remains the same. This is my family's take on it.
- 275 g potatoes sliced
- 200 g onions sliced
- 150 g carrots sliced
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 320 g pork loin steak
- 80 g frozen peas
- Pinch meat seasoning
- Preheat oven to 225C.
- In an oven dish, start by layering the onions in the bottom. Sprinkle ½ tsp rosemary, curry powder & pepper over the onions. Crumble the stock cube & sprinkle that over as well.
- Layer the meat in 1 layer, without overlapping. Season with some meat seasoning.
- Place a layer of carrots. Spread the peas on top.
- Place the potato slices over everything & layering well, even if you need to overlap the potatoes as to leave no open spaces in between. Sprinkle the rest of the rosemary over the potato & season with salt & pepper.
- Pour water from the corner of the dish until you cover the layer of meat. Drizzle the olive oil on top of the potatoes.
- Cover the dish with foil & cook in the oven for 1 hour. After the 1 hour, remove the foil from the dish & cook for 15-20 minutes more.
Calories: 349kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 28gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 415mgPotassium: 1106mgFiber: 6gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 8557IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!